Review: Shifting Fate

Shifting Fate (Descendants Series, #2)Shifting Fate - ARC
(Descendants #2)
by Melissa Wright
YA/NA Paranormal
December 2013


Goodreads Summary

According to prophecy, Brianna Drake was born to save the world. The trouble is, she doesn't have the slightest idea how. Her visions should have given her the answer, but they’re beginning to shift, making the danger too unpredictable, even for a prophet.

If she can just help her sister restore their hidden powers, she might be able to stop what’s coming. But an old enemy returns, and he’s got plans for Brianna and her visions.

What neither of them knows is that fate has given a stranger one chance to find her. He was trained to protect the chosen—but if he fails, the future will crumble.


My Thoughts

I really enjoyed reading Bound by Prophecy, the first book in the Descendants series, earlier this year. (You can see my review here and a prior interview with the author here.) I have been anxiously waiting for the next book to come out and was thrilled when the author, Melissa Wright, sent me an ARC for review.

Melissa does such a great job from the beginning of her books pulling you right in. One of the main heroine's from the last book, Brianna, is recovering from some injuries. She's a prophet and can see glimpses, images, words, and sometimes just feelings of the future. She knows what the outcome of what is coming. She knows that she needs to change that outcome, but she doesn't know how or what specifically will happen between now and then. She's trying to recuperate and search for answers at the same time, which is somewhat of a difficult thing to do and leaves her feeling exhausted and hopeless sometimes.

Brianna is in the middle of a type of tug-of-war. Aern of the Council wants her protected. So does the Division and both want to take control of that protection. I really, really loved how Logan stepped between the two, even though he's basically a Council man. I loved the way Logan supports Brianna and that it wasn't always with words or actions, but sometimes just in a touch, a look, or in silence. He tried to make sure she rested and ate and had a way to get where she needed to be. They compliment each other beautifully. Logan is quite different than Aern, but I loved that difference and that he was just as strong of a character. I loved Logan's question to Brianna of "Is it now?" It was great every time and just immediately brought up that romantic tension between the two of them. You'll have to read it to find out what I mean. No spoilers here. ;)

I did get a little lost when Brianna was researching her lineage and how to fulfill the prophecy. I really love the setting and the history behind these people who possess powers. I wanted more! I wanted to understand more and really see how it all worked. I still feel like I'm missing something and maybe I'm supposed to since the third book in the series comes out next year. I guess I'll have to wait and see...

The thing I probably love most about this series is that I love the characters! They are each different and feel realistic. They aren't perfect and they don't know or do everything they should, which I think is part of the reason they feel authentic. I also love that the feeling of time slipping away and the urgency for Brianna and her sister to figure things out before it's too late is always present. This really helps drive the story forward.

Overall, I really loved Shifting Fate! It was an engaging, paranormal romance that I would definitely read again! I would recommend it to those who love the YA and NA genres.

Content: Some violence, but I would consider this clean, which I really appreciate.
Source: From the author, which did not affect my review in any way.



Have you read Bound by Prophecy? Are you planning on reading Shifting Fate?









Disclosure: This review is of a book I was given for free by an author, tour host, or publisher, or through NetGalley or Edelweiss. This in no way influences the opinions shared in my review. You may see my complete policy on my policies page.

No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments! I try to read and reply to them all. Feel free to agree or disagree and generally share your thoughts with me.