Review: The Orphan and the Thief


The Orphan and the ThiefThe Orphan and the Thief
by M. L. Legette
Middle Grade Fantasy
January 2nd 2014                

Summary

An adventure that will keep you and your kids spellbound.

Toad thought it’d be easy to steal from Mr. Edward P. Owl. Unfortunately for Toad, he isn’t the best of thieves. Caught in the act, he’s in more trouble than ever before. Now to save his hide, Toad must track down five rare potion ingredients for Mr. Owl. Or else.All Melena Snead wants is her family back, but after the Miggens Street Fire, that isn’t very likely. Orphaned and miserable, forced to work in an apothecary, she’s determined to find Milo, her missing brother. No matter what.

When Melena finds Toad ransacking her apothecary, Toad gets a nasty shock: apothecaries don’t carry Mr. Owl’s ingredients. Luckily, Melena’s willing to help, for a price.

With Melena’s pet Spit-Fire dragon and Toad’s enchanted talking beer mug, they embark on a fantastical journey, traveling the country in search of the potion ingredients. But can they gather all of them in time, what with monsters, pirates, and axe-wielding thieves? And if they do, is there an even greater danger waiting for them at the end?

  

My Review

I really enjoyed the first book I read from this author, The Tale of Mally Biddle, last year. So when I saw The Orphan and the Thief come up for review, I requested it right away.

I liked the characters and the story moved at a fairly good pace. Melena was a little more naive than I thought she should be and Toad had a little bit of a problem with stretching the truth, but they made a good team. They go on quite an adventure meeting several interesting characters and facing all sorts of dangers. I thought several of the ways they ended up finding an item for Mr. Owl was rather humorous. The characters definitely have interesting names and professions. It was quite a quirky tale.

The story was like one of those tales written in the 1800s where two individuals take on a quest under questionable circumstances and a unknown outcome, but become closer and wiser during it. Overall, this was an entertaining read and I would definitely recommend it for middle grade readers.

Content: Clean

Source: From tour host/NetGalley, which did not affect my review in any way.

You can check out my tour stop for The Orphan and the Thief here.

Disclosure: This post contains a link to an affiliate program. If you make a purchase of any type using this link, I receive a small kickback.

No comments

Post a Comment

I love comments! I try to read and reply to them all. Feel free to agree or disagree and generally share your thoughts with me.